This is the 2nd part in a series on the media launch of Vivid Sydney 2023
Vivid Ideas 2023 will see the return of the Up Late series, the 2nd relocation of the historically main event, the Vivid Ideas Exchange, as well as the 2023 headline event: LIFE & MARS: The Future Of Human by renowed British author, Jeanette Winterson (pictured above).
The Up Late series that began last year returns in 2023 but at less venues with less events, roughly half the size. In 2022, 4 venues were included:
- The Museum Of Contemporary Art (x 1 event),
- The Australian National Maritime Museum (x 1 event),
- Australian Museum (x 5 events) and,
- Powerhouse Museum (x 3 events).
Only the latter two, the Australian Museum and the Powerhouse Museum are returning for 2023 with 2 & 3 events respectively.
The Australian Museum will host:
- What Can We Learn From Nature? (7 June) and,
- Connection To Country (14 June)
The Powerhouse Museum will host:
- Pearls Of Wisdom, (1 June)
- Natural Wonder (8 June) and,
- Paradise Fair (15 June.
All the above events are held for 4 hours from 5pm (the 90-minute Australian Museum talks begin at 6:30pm). With the exception of Natural Wonder (whose entry price cannot yet be confirmed) all events are free with Australian Museum events also requiring registration (though seating is limited on a 1st-come, 1st-served basis)
Paradise Fair is about artist Yuki Kihara’s exhibition, Paradise Camp, while Natural Wonder is about how design can be inspired by nature. Similarly, Pearls Of Wisdom is about how food has shaped the Australian identity and cuisine.
Over at the Australian Museum, What Can We Learn From Nature? features ecologist, Tim Low, Vivid Light 2022 artist, Leila Jeffreys and spirtual teacher, David Gandleman discuss how the relationship between humans and the wider natural world can be mutually beneficial if you put your mind to it. If you are surprised by what you learn at that event, you’ll be surprised to hear Australian First Nations people have doing that for millennia so check out their perspective at Connection To Country. That’s the Up Late series.
In 2023, the historically main event of Vivid Ideas, the Vivid Ideas Exchange, will relocate to the Telstra Customer Insights Centre at 400 George Street. After being at the Museum Of Contemporary Act since inception, the Exchange relocated to the University Of Technology Sydney in 2022 and has relocated again in 2023 & has shrunk to a 3rd of its size since last year, now hosting 20 sessions. The 2023 events are below:
- Nourishing Health (10 June 11am-12:15pm)
- Could The Ocean Be The Solution? (10 June 1:30pm-2:45pm)
- Cli-mating (10 June 7:30pm-8:45pm)
- Feeling It: Music & Sound On Screen (11 June 11am-12:15pm)
- Bloody Taboos (11 June 1:30pm-2:45pm)
- Full Story (11 June 4:30pm-5:45pm)
- Queeries (11 June 7:30pm-9pm)
- Natural Footsteps: Ethical Travel (12 June 2:30pm-3:45pm)
- Sydney In Space (12 June 5:30pm-6:45pm)
- (Human) Nature & The City (13 June 12:30pm-1:45pm)
- Skin Deep (13 June 6:30pm-7:45pm)
- Shaping Sustainable Sydney (14 June 12:30pm-1:45pm)
- Climate Action: Tending Or Taxing? (14 June 3:30pm-4:45pm)
- New Tech: Reasons For Hope (14 June 6:30pm-7:45pm)
- How To Grow Old Well & Try Not To Die (15 June 12:30pm-1:45pm)
- What Is Naturally Urban? (15 June 3:30pm-4:45pm)
- Neurodiversity: Diagnosis Normal (15 June 6:30pm-7:45pm)
- Blue Skies & Street Signs (16 June 3:30pm-4:45pm)
- Storytelling – It’s In Our Nature (16 June 6:30pm-7:45pm)
- Good Mourning – A New Way To Think About Grief (17 June 12:30pm-1:45pm)
- Perv: The Kink In All Of Us (17 June 3:30pm-4:45pm)
- Monogamy: The Natural Way To Love (17 June 6:30pm-7:45pm)
The above events’ prices vary between events but most are no more than $30. Some free events require registration.
The headline event, though, of Vivid Ideas 2023 is LIFE & MARS: The Future Of Human. Held by renowed British author, Jeanette Winterson, in this event, through humour, she will reflect on philosophical questions to help us understand nature. This event will be held at Sydney Town Hall for one-night only on Saturday 3 June for 75 minutes at 4pm (Doors open at 3:15pm) & costs $58-$68.
The event will begin with an address by Jeanette Winterson before an interview is conducted with her by writer-broadcaster, Richard Fidler.
That’s Vivid Ideas 2023 – an event to question nature by exploring new ideas of nature.
Vivid Ideas 2023 challenges our ‘natural’ ways of thinking, whether by shining a spotlight on underrepresented communities, offering cultural counterpoints to the mainstream, or creating one-of-a-kind immersive experiences.
Bringing together the world’s brightest minds and creative leaders, Vivid Ideas will ask difficult questions, feature talks from global storytellers and creative minds and allow audiences to challenge the status quo, explore human nature and ask: what can we learn from nature? Join us at Vivid Ideas and be part of the conversation.Vivid Ideas Curator, Tory Loudon
This is the 2nd part in a series on the media launch of Vivid Sydney 2023. Next part will be about the ‘Vivid Music’ 2023 program including Vivid LIVE.