Spectacular lights, sights & delicious delights at ‘Vivid Sydney’’s newest precinct
Sydney’s newest waterfront destination will burst into a spectacular kaleidoscope of light, colour & sound when Barangaroo (South) makes its Vivid Sydney debut with an illuminated trail of light installations from the 26th of May to the 17th of June 2017.
NSW Minister for Tourism and Major Events, Adam Marshall said: “For the first time Australia’s largest event will encompass Barangaroo (South) with a remarkable program that showcases Sydney’s newest harbourisde precinct to visitors from around the world.”
“Visitors to Vivid Sydney’s newest CBD precinct will uncover secret worlds and create their own universe as they wander and weave through the streets and laneways of Barangaroo before discovering a delicious dining destination.”
Light installations will be a feast for the senses (and sensors) as visitors become part of the artwork and ‘feel’ sounds matched to changing light; dive deep into the harbour to explore a magical waterworld; unearth the secrets of Barangaroo when the ‘ground’ opens; and go on a global voyage of discovery immersed in a personal sound bubble. Visitors can then enjoy a foodie paradise with the precinct offering a smorgasbord of dining options, whether guests are hungry for a quick ‘grab and go’ meal for their family, or a sit-down dinner to complete their date night.
Vivid Sydney at Barangaroo (South) highlights include:
- A Day In The Light: Life becomes the art as you move through this immersive, multi-sensory experience, created by renowned French/Italian artistic collective Danny Rose. As light and sound blend to recreate the day from dawn to dark, you’ll ‘feel’ the sound of the changing shades of light.
- Trapdoor: Did the earth move for you? Step into this incredible optical illusion if you dare and see a spectacular, mysterious, cavernous underworld open before your eyes – and under your feet. Fantastical floor murals and sensational scene swaps spring to life to tell the stories of Barangaroo.
- You-niverse: An out of this world experience that puts you at the centre of your own ‘Youniverse’. Pop on the wireless silent disco headphones and go on a voyage of discovery through a kaleidoscope of vibrant visuals and spectacular soundscapes, where you’ll encounter everything from Indigenous Elders and global explorers, to yoga festivals and ‘doof-doof’ music at Australian bush parties.
- What Lies Beneath: Ever wondered what secrets lurk in the waters of Sydney Harbour? Join a colourful cast of characters from another world as they explore the marvels and mysteries of one the world’s most beautiful bodies of water in this roving piece that will delight the young, and young at heart.
- Migration: Barangaroo’s harbourside promenade comes to life under an animated canopy of sea creatures. Visitors will be bathed in a beautiful spectrum of blue as they stroll along the harbourside walk, with translucent manta rays floating above them to light the way.
After taking in the bright lights, enjoy a Vivid-inspired cocktail at Banksii, or keep the kids smiling with neon glow-in-the-dark hair spray and face art at Blown Lux, as well as delicious handmade brightly coloured chocolate lollipops at Oh! Boo Chocolates.
Vivid Sydney at Barangaroo (South) is easily accessible from Wynyard Station via Wynyard Walk and is just a short stroll from King Street Wharf and Darling Harbour. Visit www.vividsydney.com & www.barangaroo.sydney for more information.
Media Release: Vivid Sydney