Giant illuminated sculptures shine a light on conservation at ‘Vivid Sydney At Taronga Zoo’
Taronga Zoo’s colourful cast of giant, illuminated endangered animal sculptures return with 5 new additions & surprises including a 20-metre walk-through Port Jackson shark when Vivid Sydney’s wildest precinct lights up to enchant visitors of all ages & continue its conversation about conservation from the 26th of May to the 17th of June 2017.
Minister For Tourism & Major Events, Adam Marshall, said Taronga Zoo will return to the Vivid festival line-up with new & exciting installations as well as all the crowd favourites.
“After the success of Vivid Sydney At Taronga Zoo in 2016, the Lights For The Wild will return to entertain both the young & young at heart. This year, crowd favourites will be joined by exciting newcomers including PJ the shark, an animated pelican, a family of silverback gorillas, a Tasmanian devil with its baby & a swarm of buzzing bees”
Environment Minister, Gabrielle Upton, said this exhibition would delight visitors after the permanent Zoo residents have retired for the night.
“The Zoo’s Vivid display tells an important conservation story with the lanterns raising awareness of the plight of these animals & how we can all help and support Taronga’s work” Miss Upton said.
- PJ the Port Jackson shark: Walk through PJ’s gaping jaws & stroll through this 20.6 metre giant Port Jackson shark.
- Gorillagram: Pose for a happy snap with 2 large, interactive silverback gorilla lanterns & post it to Instagram and use the power of social media to spread the Zoo’s conservation message to your followers.
- Floating stingray: This new addition is made from recycled milk bottles collected from schools & businesses within the local community in an effort to promote the need to keep our environment clean from litter.
- You become a Light For The Wild too: For the 1st time, visitors can become part of this fully immersive experience, interacting with the light sculptures like never before with a free, state-of-the-art wristband for all ticket holders.
- Get a bird’s eye view from Sky Safari: A limited number of Blue Pass tickets that include a round trip on Taronga’s Sky Safari cable car will be available each night to see the Vivid Sydney At Taronga Zoo experience from the sky, after dark & illuminated in all its glory.
Entry to Taronga Zoo is via the main upper entrance on Bradley’s Head Road only.
What: Vivid Sydney At Taronga Zoo
Where: Taronga Zoo, Mosman.
Sessions: Tickets can be purchased for 2 session times:
- Session 1 – 5:30pm–7:30pm AEST
- Session 2 – 7:30pm–9:30pm AEST
Tickets: Pre-purchase your tickets at taronga.org.au/vivid:
- Adult – AUD$21.95 + booking fee
- Child (4-15 years) – AUD$16.95 + booking fee
- Child (under 4 years) – AUD$0
Note: Last entry at 8:30pm AEST
Taronga Zoo is not for profit. All ticket proceeds go directly back to work in conservation & wildlife care.
About Vivid Sydney
Vivid Sydney is the world’s largest festival of light, music & ideas, which for 23 days – from the 26th of May to the 17th of June 2017 – transforms the ‘Harbour City’ with its unique, colourful, creative canvas. In 2016, Vivid Sydney attracted a record 2.31 million attendees. Vivid Sydney is owned, managed & produced by Destination New South Wales (NSW), the NSW Government’s tourism & major events agency. Vivid Sydney features large scale light installations & projections – Vivid Light; music performances & collaborations – Vivid Music (including Vivid LIVE At The Sydney Opera House); & creative ideas, discussion and debate – Vivid Ideas, all celebrating Sydney as the creative hub of the Asia-Pacific. Vivid Sydney is in its 9th year. For more information, visit www.vividsydney.com.
Media Release: Vivid Sydney