Vivid Sydney has once again shown its lure as a major international festival cracking the 2-million visitor mark.
Minister For Trade, Tourism & Major Events, Stuart Ayres, said more than 2.3 million people attended the world’s biggest festival of light, music & ideas – an increase of 35.4% on last year’s attendance of 1.7 million.
“Vivid Sydney 2016 is officially our biggest year yet with a record 2.31 million visitors. That’s on par with the population of Brisbane & demonstrates the momentous growth and enduring popularity of this world-class festival” Mr Ayres said.
“Vivid Sydney showcases Sydney as a global hub of art, technology and innovation & is a serious driver of business for the state’s visitor economy”
“A standout area of growth this year has been the number of visitors travelling to New South Wales (NSW) on specific Vivid Sydney travel packages, with a remarkable 88,300 packages sold, up an incredible 104% on 2015 figures.”
Chief Executive Officer of Destination NSW & Vivid Sydney Executive Producer, Sandra Chipchase, added: “New precincts at the Royal Botanic Gardens & Taronga Zoo were firm visitor favourites as well as the spectacular ‘Songlines‘ projection onto the Sydney Opera House sails that celebrated Indigenous Australian culture”
“The team is immensely proud of Vivid Sydney 2016 & the crowd numbers speak for themselves. We look forward to doing it all again next year with more light, art & music that will dazzle people from all around the world.”
The Vivid Music program recorded substantial growth with more than 132,000 attendees at the 190 performances staged at venues across the city. A further 54,000 attendees participated in the Vivid Ideas program.
Vivid Sydney is owned, managed & produced by the NSW Government’s tourism & major events agency, Destination NSW.
Vivid Sydney 2016 Facts & Figures
- 2.31 million attendees
- More than 88,300 Vivid Sydney travel packages
- Over 44,100 international travel packages
- Over 44,200 domestic travel packages sold
- 17,827 visitors from China on Vivid Sydney travel packages
- More than 132,000 attendees at Vivid Music events
- More than 54,000 attended Vivid Ideas events
- Over 2.2 million visits to www.vividsydney.com
- 404,500 Vivid Sydney Facebook fans
- 42 million people reached from Vivid Sydney Facebook
- 360° Facebook videos generated 1.9 million views in 2 days
- More than 88,000 downloads of the Vivid Sydney app
- 190 Vivid Music performances
- 658 speakers participating in 183 Vivid Ideas events
- More than 90 light installations & projections created by more than 150 artists from 23 different countries
- Guinness World Record title for the ‘Largest Interactive Lighting Display’ awarded to the ‘Dress Circle‘ installation at Circular Quay.
Media Release: Vivid Sydney