The NSW Police Force is encouraging the community to plan ahead and consider the many options available for celebrating New Year’s Eve in Sydney for 2019.
With significant crowds expected to celebrate the start of 2020 by taking in the spectacular fireworks displays around Sydney Harbour, police are urging revellers to start considering plans for their night now, to avoid disappointment.
Central Metropolitan Region Commander, Assistant Commissioner Mick Willing APM, said police have been working closely with City of Sydney, landowners and other government agencies to ensure everyone enjoys a safe and fun New Year’s Eve.
“Sydney’s New Year’s Eve celebration is the state’s largest event and police will be out in force across the city and around New South Wales prioritising safety, to ensure family and friends can enjoy the celebrations,” Assistant Commissioner Willing said.
“Police will work side-by-side with other agencies in the Police Operations Centre and Government Coordination Centre, to coordinate our people and resources on the ground.
“There will be a significant number of police – both uniformed and plain-clothed – patrolling the CBD and foreshore areas from Tuesday morning until the party precincts have safely emptied on New Year’s Day.
“Specialist police resources will also be deployed across the event footprint, patrolling our waterways and transport hubs, while PolAir keep an eye on things from the sky, to ensure a safe and secure event for everyone involved.
“Police will not tolerate dangerous, criminal or anti-social behaviour, so anyone caught putting other people’s lives at risk, or spoiling the fun for others, will be dealt with swiftly.
“We want everyone to enjoy the start to the new year and the key to doing so safely is to act responsibly, look after your friends and family and know your limits,” Assistant Commissioner Willing said.
“This year, a number of popular vantage points are ticketed-only events and police will monitor crowd numbers closely and sites will be closed as soon as they reach capacity to prevent overcrowding.
“The public are advised to listen to authorities, including police and venue security, who will be providing directions to ensure crowds move safely and efficiently to each of the vantage points.
“We have previously seen sites reach capacity and close early, so we are urging people to arrive early, just in case you have to make your way to another viewing location.
“Public transport is the best option for anyone planning to head into the city, as there will be extensive road closures and special-event clearways in place throughout the event.
“This year the light rail will also be operating to help crowds move into the city, however there will be changes to regular services, so please check the timetable in advance.
“If you must drive, please be patient, be aware of pedestrians and as always do not drink or drug drive,” Assistant Commissioner Willing said.
Hot weather is expected over the next few days, and police are urging revellers to keep informed on the conditions, look after their health and remember the four key messages to keep healthy in the heat:
1. Drink plenty of water (limit hot, sugary, or alcoholic beverages)
2. Keep cool (stay in the air conditioning, if possible)
3. Take care of others (visit or contact those at risk of heat-related illness)
4. Have a plan (know who to contact if you need assistance and seek medical advice if you feel unwell).
For comprehensive event details, and to plan your journey to a vantage point, visit: www.sydneynewyearseve.com.
For road-closure information, visit www.livetraffic.com.
Visit www.bom.gov.au for updated weather forecasts and warnings.
Media Release: NSW Police Force