Revellers are being encouraged to look up & listen for the full fireworks effects this New Year’s Eve as Sydney sees out 2016 with its biggest fireworks show yet set to a rocking soundtrack.
A soundtrack that includes songs from rock legends Prince & David Bowie, Australian artists Sia and Flume & international stars Coldplay and Guns N’ Roses will take the fireworks to another level.
Sydneysiders can tune in to 104.1 2DayFM for the exclusive soundtrack at 9pm & Midnight.
“The music has inspired some wonderful firework effects this year & is a tribute to some of the stars we lost in 2016” Lord Mayor, Clover Moore, said.
“We will see designs that will shower from the Sydney Harbour Bridge, rain from barges on the Harbour & explode as a constellation above the city”
“Whether they are enjoying the fireworks at home or watching the spectacular event from a vantage point overlooking the Harbour, people should bring along portable radios or tune in their phones to get the complete light & sound show”
Having spent the past 12 months staring into space & listening to music, Sydney New Year’s Eve soundtrack producer, Alex Gooden, is looking forward to seeing his playlist come to life on December 31.
“It has been a year of imagining what it would be like being on Sydney Harbour on New Year’s Eve watching the fireworks going off around me. As a job, it does not get more fun than that” Mr Gooden said.
“I have spent more than 500 hours listening to Spotify, iTunes Charts, watching YouTube & listening to the radio at different times of the day”
“It is a long process that involves quite a bit of trial & error. It starts with a technical brief from the City Of Sydney & the fireworks director, Fortunato Foti, who supply a fireworks intensity map that peaks at ’11’ for the fireworks climax”
“The brief is very broad because it has to appeal to just about everyone. The music has to be popular and relevant & include as many Australian acts as possible”
“My personal favourites from the fireworks soundtrack are David Bowie’s Space Oddity, Prince’s Purple Rain and Gene Wilder’s Pure Imagination. I can not wait to see how it looks & sounds on the night”
9pm Family Fireworks soundtrack list:
- Do You Bleed? – Hans Zimmer & Junkie XL (from the film Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)
- Shelter – Porter Robinson & Madeon
- 1 Dance – Drake
- Remind Me (Steve James remix) – Conrad Sewell
- Just Like Fire – P!NK (from the film Alice Through The Looking Glass)
- Purple Rain – Prince & The Revolution (from the film Purple Rain)
- Purple Rain (Royal Philharmonic Orchestra cover) – Prince & The Revolution
- Can’t Stop The Feeling! – Justin Timberlake (from the film Trolls)
- Sorry – Justin Bieber
- Youth (Gryffin Remix) [featuring Gryffin] – Troye Sivan
- This Is What You Came For (featuring Rihanna) – Calvin Harris
- No Money – Galantis
Midnight Fireworks soundtrack list:
- Strip Chase – John Powell & David Buckley (from the film Jason Bourne)
- Fall Together – The Temper Trap
- Cheap Thrills– Sia
- Fast Car (Jonas Blue cover featuring Dakota) [Radio Edit] – Tracy Chapman.
- Roll Up – Fitz & The Tantrums
- Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
- Evie – Part 1 : Let Your Hair Hang Down – The Wrights
- Space Oddity (1999 remaster) – David Bowie
- Never Be Like You (featuring Kai) – Flume
- Don’t Let Me Down (featuring Daya) – The Chainsmokers
- Stepping Stone (featuring Mark Johns) – Lemaitre
- Faded – Alan Walker
- Pure Imagination – Gene Wilder (from the film Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory)
- Carry Me (Featuring Julia Michaels) – Kygo
- Welcome To The Jungle – Guns N’ Roses
- Breakin’ Outta Hell – Airbourne
- Still Falling For You – Ellie Goulding (from the film Bridget Jones’s Baby)
- Hymn For The Weekend (featuring Beyonce) – Coldplay
- Fantastical Symphony: An Episode In The Life Of An Artist In 5 Parts – Part 5: Dream Of The Night Of The Sabbath (Claudio Abbado & the Chicago Symphony Orchestra cover) – Hector Berlioz
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) will broadcast live from 8:35pm AEDT. The event will be live streamed at sydneynewyearseve.com, ABC iView & the ABC Television Facebook page.
The Midnight Fireworks will be live streamed globally at Australia.com & Sydney.com Facebook pages.
Media Release: City Of Sydney