ABC, ABC3 & ABC News 24 reached 3.7 million viewers in metro & regional markets across it’s New Year’s Eve (NYE) coverage from 8:30pm last night.
Audiences peaked at 1.9 million for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation Television’s (ABC TV’s) NYE: Midnight Fireworks on ABC & ABC News 24 (combined metro & regional audience).
ABC TV’s NYE: Family Fireworks at 9pm was watched by 1.3 million on ABC, ABC News 24 & ABC3 (combined metro & regional audience).
In Sydney, 1 in 4 tuned into ABC TV during the coverage last night.
- Last night, ABC was the leading channel in the metro markets with a 5 city prime-time share of 16.5%.
- ABC was also the number 1 channel in Sydney with a share of 22.9%.
- ABC TV’s NYE: Midnight Fireworks was the No. 1 program of the night with a 5 city audience of 1.3 million & a total TV share of 51.8%.
- The Family Fireworks at 9pm achieved a 5 city audience of 829,000 (25.3%).
Richard Finlayson, ABC Director Of Television said: “The Sydney New Year’s Eve fireworks are an iconic annual event that brings the nation together. ABC is the home of big national moments and celebrations & we’re delighted that our night of family entertainment brought so many people to the party around the country.”
Presented from outside the Sydney Opera House on the foreshores of spectacular Sydney Harbour, ABC TV presented a 4-hour live show, hosted by Eddie Perfect, Justine Clarke & Ella Hooper and featured an amazing line up of family entertainment, comedy & music.
The evening kicked off with a segment especially for kids with Justine Clarke & ABC Kids’s favourites including Hoot and Hootabelle & characters from ‘Play School’ before the winner of ABC3’s ‘Design Your Own Firework‘ competition, Emma Lanzano of Victoria, pushed a giant lever that set the sky alight with the 9pm Family Fireworks display featuring her own unique firework design.
Eddie Perfect & Ella Hooper took us through to midnight with an entertainment extravaganza featuring the annual comedy panel show ‘The 2015 Pub Quiz‘ & an amazing line-up of music from The Falls Music And Arts Festivals across Australia including performances by Birds Of Tokyo, Courtney Barnett, Rufus, Hilltop Hoods, Peking Duk plus many more before the skies over Sydney’s Harbour exploded into a sea of colour as the Midnight Fireworks rang in the new year.
NYE 2015 – 31st December 2015
5 City Metro – Audience (Share %)
- NYE 2015: MIDNIGHT FIREWORKS (ABC) – 1,331,000 (51.8%)
- 7 NEWS (7) – 860,000 (26.3%)
- NYE 2015: FAMILY FIREWORKS (ABC) – 829,000 (25.3%)
- 9 NEWS (9) – 806,000 (24.6%)
- 9 NEWS 6:30 (9) – 770,000 (23.6%)
- 7 NEWS / TODAY TONIGHT (7) – 715,000 (21.9%)
- NYE 2015: AUSTRALIA WIDE PARTY (ABC) – 689,000 (29.7%)
- A CURRENT AFFAIR (9) – 552,000 (17.3%)
- NYE 2015: INCLUDES PUB QUIZ (ABC) – 531,000 (19.2%)
- CRICKET: BIG BASH LEAGUE GAME 14 – SESSION 2 (10) – 518,000 (18.6%)
Source: OzTAM & RegionalTAM overnight data; reach is based on 5 minutes consecutive viewing.